Published on August 13th, 2019 | by Millennium Magazine Staff0
THE COMET IMPLEMENTING SERVICE ENHANCEMENTS STARTING MONDAY, AUGUST 19, 2019
Columbia, SC –The COMET will be implementing service enhancements on Monday, August 19, 2019. In an effort to improve on-time performance, many The COMET routes will be rescheduled in which a new pulse system will be created at COMET Central at the corner of Laurel and Sumter Streets in Downtown Columbia, as well as at SuperStops located throughout Richland and Lexington Counties.
As part of the new pulse system, most routes will depart COMET Central at :15 and :45 past the hour. This will allow passengers the opportunity to make transfers for a five minute period, since all of the routes will arrive at the same time. This change will reduce travel times for over 60% of The COMET passengers traveling crosstown. Other enhancements are listed below:
- The 501 on Two Notch Road will operate every 20 minutes between 6 a.m. and 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. and 6 p.m. Monday through Friday and every 30 minutes all other times, including weekends.
- Route 96L is a new route serving only Cayce and West Columbia with connections to Route 91 at Kmart for travel into Columbia or to Springdale every 60 minutes and replaces Route 26.
- Soda Cap Connector Orbit route is a downtown circulator that will travel on Sumter, Blossom, Assembly and Richland Streets, every 30 minutes, seven days a week and its free.
- Route 45 will operate every 30 minutes all day on weekdays and connect with The 401.
- Routes 46 and 47 in the Lower Richland and Eastover area will become flex routes and Route 47 will operate on Saturday, plus serve the Congaree National Park.
- Route 83L will be extended to Dutch Square Center and travel to Midlands Technical College – Harbison via St. Andrews Road, Harbison Boulevard and Prisma Health Baptist Parkridge. Al lRoute 83L trips will become Route 84 at Dutch Square Center to travel to Riverbanks Zoo and Downtown Columbia
- Route 77 is extended to Polo Road and Two Notch Road.
- New SuperStops created at Dutch Square Center, Patterson & Garners Ferry Walmart, Harden & Taylor and West Columbia Kmart.
More details are available at www.CatchTheCOMET.org or by calling (803) 255-7100. Printed schedules will be available at COMET Central and on buses starting next Thursday.
About The COMET
The COMET is a service of the Central Midlands Regional Transit Authority and provides countywide public transit services on 38 fixed routes, two ReFlex services, vanpool service, subsidy programs with Uber and Lyft and DART ADA complementary paratransit service throughout Richland and western Lexington Counties. The COMET transports approximately 2.8 million passenger trips a year on a fleet of 81 buses and vans. Transit services are provided under contract with Transdev Service, Inc of Lombard, Illinois. For additional The COMET information, please call (803) 255-7100, TDD/TTY: 711 through the relay service, email: email@example.com or visit www.catchthecomet.org. Catch The COMET…We Will Take You There!