Published on March 14th, 2017 | by Millennium Magazine Staff0
Richland County Vector Control Program to Begin Mosquito Spraying
(Richland PIO) – The Richland County Vector Control Program is preparing for mosquito spraying. The program conducts surveillance on mosquito populations, treats larval breeding sites and sprays for adult mosquitoes in densely populated areas of Richland County.
Residents can help reduce mosquitoes by inspecting their property for potential breeding sites and using these preventive measures:
· Empty, overturn or remove water-holding containers such as tires, cans, bottles, buckets, flower pots, etc. (See our informational video: www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc_hgAoLYIg)
· Use EPA registered insect repellents that contain DEET, Picaridin, IR3535 or oil of lemon eucalyptus according to label instructions
· Clear drainage ditches of debris and weeds
· Pack tree holes with sand
· Clean clogged roof gutters
· Keep boats overturned, drained or covered (covers should not collect water)
· Stock ornamental ponds (water gardens) with top-feeding minnows
· Maintain swimming pools properly
· Change the water in pet dishes, birdbaths and containers used to root plants at least weekly
· Make sure there are screens on rain barrels to prevent mosquitoes from accessing the collected water and use the water as soon as possible
In Richland County (outside Columbia city limits), truck spraying for adult mosquitoes will usually be conducted between midnight and dawn, however, it is possible that spraying may be conducted earlier depending conditions. Residents allergic to the products resmethrin or permethrin are asked to notify vector control staff by calling the Richland County Ombudsman at 803-929-6000. All beekeepers should also call the Ombudsman to notify staff of their hives.
For questions or problems with mosquitoes inside Columbia city limits, call 803-545-3430. Lexington County residents who live inside the town limits of Batesburg-Leesville should call 803-532-4601. All other Lexington County residents should call 803-785-8440.