Published on December 12th, 2016 | by Millennium Magazine Staff0
Queenie M. Boyd elected as SCSBA president
COLUMBIA – Queenie M. Boyd, board member of the Lee County School District Board, was elected as president of the South Carolina School Boards Association (SCSBA) during the association’s annual Delegate Assembly recently.
The association’s annual business meeting, which was held during the association’s Legislative Advocacy Conference, included voting delegates from most of the state’s 81 school district boards. In addition to the election of association officers, delegates adopted resolutions to guide the association during the 2017 legislative session.
Boyd was first elected to the SCSBA board in 2006 as Region 6 Director, which represents school boards in Chesterfield, Darlington, Kershaw, Lee, and Marlboro.
She was elected to the Lee County School District board in 1988 and has served as both chairman and vice chairman and is a founding member of the district’s academic booster club. She retired from REXAM Beverage Cans where she worked for 34 years and is very active in community and church organizations.
A lifelong Lee County resident, Boyd graduated from Dennis High School and attended Allen University in Columbia. She is a member of Liberty Hill Missionary Baptist Church, where she serves as a member of the yearbook committee, the Voices of Liberty Choir, YWA and the Missionary Ministries.
She and her husband Alexander have four children and three grandsons.
Officers elected to lead the association’s board of directors for a one-year term are as follows:
- President-elect, Wesley Hightower, Aiken County Public School District
- Vice President, Tony Folk, Dorchester School District Four
- Treasurer, Chuck Saylors, Greenville County Schools
- Secretary, Cheryl Burgess, Lexington School District Three
Others elected to serve a four-year term on the 23-member board of directors as regional directors are:
- Region 2 Director, Cindy Bohn Coats, Charleston County School District
- Region 4 Director, Janice Morreale, Horry County Schools
- Region 8 Director, Jamie Devine, Richland One School District
- Region 12 Director, Annie McDaniel, Fairfield County School District
- Region 16 Director, Tom Dobbins, Anderson County School District 4
The South Carolina School Boards Association is a non-profit organization serving as a source of information and a statewide voice for boards governing the state’s 81 school districts.