Published on November 21st, 2019 | by Millennium Magazine Staff0
One SC Fund Awards more than $313,000 for Hurricane Relief and Disaster Preparation
Grants bring total to more than $4.8 million distributed to nonprofits since the fund’s inception
Columbia, SC.— The One SC Fund Committee awarded $313,344 in grants to 11 organizations across South Carolina in the fall 2019 grant cycle for disaster relief and recovery projects. To date, the One SC Fund — established by former Governor Nikki Haley in November 2015 after the Thousand Year Flood to help South Carolinians who are recovering from a disaster — has awarded more than $4.86 million in grants to nonprofits to support disaster recovery projects across the state, helping more than 2,400 families return home. To support the fund, visit www.onescfund.org.
The fund is housed and administered by Central Carolina Community Foundation. The Foundation does not charge fees for this work, ensuring that 100% of monies donated are granted to local nonprofits providing disaster relief and recovery.
The following nonprofit organizations will receive grants from the One SC Fund:
- Brethren Disaster Ministries for repairs on homes in Nichols, S.C. that were affected by Hurricanes Matthew and Florence.
- Darlington County Habitat for Humanity for the replacement of roofs and repair of water damage caused by flooding.
- Darlington County Long-Term Recovery Group to assist families living in poverty with home repairs needed due to Hurricane Florence and with registering with the South Carolina Disaster Recovery Office.
- Dillon County Long-Term Recovery Group to provide case management, household furnishings, and repairs to the citizens of Dillon County.
- Good Samaritan Community Development Corp to install new roofing for low-income residents in Florence County most impacted by Hurricane Florence.
- Good360 will partner with local nonprofits tosupply community members affected by disasters with products they need for cleanup and rebuilding.
- Habitat for Humanity Georgetown SC Inc to assist low-income families in making their homes safe and secure, specifically homes that have worsened in the last five years due to disasters.
- Marlboro County Long-Term Recovery Group for housing rehabilitation for those affected by Hurricane Florence.
- New Vision Community Development for home recovery and rebuild, water and tree removal, disaster case management, temporary shelter and lodging, and repairs to plumbing, electrical wiring and bug infestation due to recent disasters.
- South Carolina Conference of the United Methodist Church for case management and construction components to assist with unmet needs that resulted from Hurricane Florence.
- Tri-Community Center Inc for establishing Special Medical Needs Shelter and Point of Distribution (POD) site in Berkeley County to accept and distribute supplies and resources during a disaster.
Donations for the One SC Fund came from many generous individuals and businesses across the nation. The nonprofit grant recipients were selected by a grants committee made up of representatives from five S.C. community foundations, as well as business and civic leaders. These individuals know their communities well and help distribute the funds to areas where the dollars will have the greatest impact.
“The One SC Fund has helped thousands of South Carolinians affected by disaster return home during the past four years,” said JoAnn Turnquist, president and CEO of Central Carolina Community Foundation. “We’re grateful for the many generous donors who have helped these families and individuals.”
Nonprofit organizations can find information about applying for grants at www.yourfoundation.org/OneSCGrants. The next round of applications will be accepted from February 1, 2020, until February 29, 2020.
There is still much work required to rebuild South Carolina from recent disasters — work that will require funding. Donations to the One SC Fund are being accepted and will help continue the work of serving those impacted by past, current, and future disasters that hit our state. 100% of monies donated will be granted to local nonprofits providing disaster relief and recovery.
How to Donate to the One SC Fund
Those wishing to contribute to the One SC Fund can do so in the following ways:
- Online: Visit www.onescfund.org/ to make a donation with your credit card.
- Mail: Send a check made payable to Central Carolina Community Foundation-One SC to: Central Carolina Community Foundation-One SC, 2142 Boyce St., Suite 402, Columbia, SC 29201.
About Central Carolina Community Foundation:
Central Carolina Community Foundation, the Midlands’ center for philanthropy, is a nonprofit organization serving 11 counties in the Midlands by distributing grants and scholarships and linking the resources of donors, nonprofits and area leaders to communities in need. Major initiatives include the online giving challenge Midlands Gives, On the Table, Connected Communities grants, the One SC Fund, Annual scholarships, and more. For more information about the Foundation, visit www.yourfoundation.org or call 803.254.5601.