Published on December 15th, 2014 | by Millennium Magazine Staff0
O’Jays Headline Famously Hot New Year
COLUMBIA, S.C.—Famously Hot New Year, South Carolina’s largest free New Year’s Eve celebration, announces final plans for the street party of the year in downtown Columbia and the Midlands of South Carolina on Dec. 31, 2014.
In its fourth year, as always, Famously Hot New Year 2015’s free street party will feature live music on stage by major national acts, framed by the South Carolina State House. This year, the #FHNY celebration will be headlined by American treasures The O’Jays. With 24 top-10 hits spanning their 50-year career, including the popular, danceable “Love Train,” the O’Jays will keep the crowd moving through midnight.
This year’s opening act includes the upbeat, indie-pop band MisterWives, who recently appeared on Jimmy Kimmel Live to perform their hit single, “Reflections.” Local reggae/rock favorites Lefty at the Washout will kick off the concert at 7:30 p.m. Darci Strickland of WLTX and Kelly Nash of WCOS’s Morning Rush will emcee the stage acts.
After the crowd of tens of thousands counts down to 2015 at midnight, Famously Hot New Year will again feature the most colossal New Year’s Eve fireworks display in the Carolinas, which will light up the night with the picturesque South Carolina State Capitol in the backdrop.
“Famously Hot New Year attracted 26,000 people last year,” said Mayor of Columbia Steve Benjamin. “A third of our guests were from outside of Richland County and 10 percent of our attendees were from outside of South Carolina. They’re joining us in the capital city because the event is free, safe and really fun way to party into the New Year. We know that we have an unequaled quality of life here in the Midlands of South Carolina, and we’ve put together a lineup of entertainment and events for Famously Hot New Year 2015 that will offer locals and tourists plenty of exciting options for ringing in the New Year.”
Schedule of #FHNY events on Dec. 31:
– 6:30 p.m.: Gates open
– 7:30 – 8:30 p.m.: Lefty at the Washout
– 9 – 10 p.m.: MisterWives
– 10:30 – 11:55 p.m.: The O’Jays
– 11:55 p.m. – 12:10 a.m.: Midnight festivities and fireworks
– 12:10 – 12:30 a.m.: The O’Jays finale
– 12:30 p.m.: Beer, wine and champagne sales end
– 1 a.m.: Event ends
In its fourth year, Famously Hot New Year has expanded event happenings and details that will make the celebration an unforgettable experience in the days surrounding the New Year, including:
– The Famously Hot Main Street Crit: This spectator-friendly, successful race is teaming up with FHNY 2015 on Dec. 31, 2014 with a Kids Fun Run at 3 p.m., a 5K at 3:30 p.m. and an Elite 8K (with an $8,000 purse) with professional runners at 4:45 p.m.
– City of Columbia Parks & Recreation’s WOW New Year’s Eve Carnival: Free admission to games and rides for kids of all ages from 5 – 11 p.m. on Dec. 31.
– Comfort Zone: Take a break from dancing in the streets with regional food and drink vendors and plenty of seating at Lady and Main Streets, as well as easy access to Budweiser’s Alert Cab service. (add link to map on website? Event map:http://www.famouslyhotnewyear.com/images/eventmap.pdf; overview map:http://www.famouslyhotnewyear.com/images/overviewmap2.pdf)
– VIP Crescent Lounge: Guests may opt to purchase tickets to the VIP Crescent Lounge for open bar, catering, indoor amenities and exclusive parking.
– Famously Hot New Year and The COMET: FHNY is working with The COMET, which will become “The Love Train,” for one night only. Named in honor of The O’Jays hit song, the shuttle service, which has extended its operating hours and will transport Famously Hot New Year attendees, will operate 12 routes and pick up and drop off at park-and-ride lots throughout the Midlands.
More ways to enjoy Columbia and the Midlands: City of Columbia’s hospitality districts and their members and businesses will create special menus and offers in the days surrounding Dec. 31.
Famously Hot New Year celebration details:
Famously Hot New Year: SC’s Largest Free NYE Celebration
Date: Wednesday, December 31, 2014
Time: 7 PM Until 12:30 AM
Location: Main & Gervais in downtown Columbia, SC
For more information, visit FamouslyHotNewYear.com. Follow Famously Hot New Year:
Official event hashtag: #FHNY
About FAMOUSLY HOT NEW YEAR
Set on Columbia’s Main Street with the South Carolina State Capitol as the backdrop, Famously Hot New Year is South Carolina’s largest free New Year’s Eve party. In its fourth year, the celebration encompasses a live outdoor concert by national headlining bands, a colossal midnight fireworks display unrivaled in the two Carolinas, a VIP party, family fun, regional food and drink, a specialty race and more in the days surrounding the New Year in Columbia. Famously Hot New Year 2014 drew a diverse crowd of more than 26,000 guests from the Southeast and beyond.