Published on February 13th, 2014 | by Millennium Magazine Staff0
Give Your Kitchen A Breath Of Fresh Air
Cooks can breathe a sigh of relief when they realize how efficient and attractive kitchen ventilation or a range hood can be.
If you’d like to breathe easier, these facts and hints can help:
• Kitchens with proper ventilation are much cleaner. Ventilation can stop particulates from settling on surfaces and damaging cabinetry and fabrics. A good vent can also reduce smoke, grease and other types of indoor air pollution that can harm your health and increase your cleaning chores.
• Four basic kinds of kitchen range hoods:
1.) Canopy Hoods—mount to the wall (aka Pro-style) or bottom of a cabinet (aka under-cabinet).
2.) Island Hoods—mount to the ceiling.
3.) Chimney Hoods—come with a decorative cover to hide unattractive ductwork.
4.) Downdraft Hoods—install behind the cooktop.
• The hood should be at least as wide as the cooking surface to effectively capture smoke, grease and odors.
• Keep it clean. It’s wise to wash or replace vent filters every couple of months. If you cook frequently, they may require more frequent cleaning; most are dishwasher-safe.
• When shopping for new ventilation, look for the Home Ventilating Institute (HVI) label. It’s an independent third party that rates ventilation performance.
• If noise levels are important to you and your family, get a hood that exhausts more air (indicated by a higher-level CFM) and operates at a lower/quieter speed. Another quiet-performance option is an external blower that can be mounted to an outside wall, installed in the attic or on the roof.
• The hood should be installed as close to the cooktop as possible, within the manufacturer’s guidelines, so it captures the most smoke and odor.
• Duct size is important for optimum performance. It should be equal to or greater than the size of the hood’s duct outlet.
• Make sure the backdraft damper opens and closes completely and freely. Check both inside and outside the house to be sure nothing gets in the way of its movement.
• For an efficient HVI-certified range hood that is also sleek, graceful and elegant, consider BROAN® and BROAN Elite Hoods. There are several models made to match contemporary aesthetics, providing a clean look that works seamlessly with your kitchen style.
For further ideas and to view a variety of hoods and vents, go to www.broan.com or call (800) 558-1711