Published on March 9th, 2017 | by Millennium Magazine Staff0
2017 March for Meals campaign raises awareness of senior hunger in the Midlands
Senior Resources is participating in March for Meals, a nationwide campaign to raise awareness of senior hunger in local communities. South Carolina currently ranks 4th-worst in the nation in terms of food instability among seniors, according to the National Foundation to End Senior Hunger. Senior Resources has planned the following activities to raise awareness of senior hunger in the Midlands.
- Throughout March. Senior Resources is selling paper lunch boxes for $1 (or any amount a donor choses) to support our senior meal programs. For a list of locations and ways to get involved, visit www.seniorresourcesinc.org/events/march-meals-campaign
- Friday, March 10. 9:30 m. -12:30 p.m.: SCE&G employees will pack and deliver Meals on Wheels from our Trenholm Road United Methodist Church distribution center (3401 Trenholm Road, Columbia, SC 29205), and present a check in support of the March for Meals campaign.
- Saturday, March 11. 9 a.m. Senior Resources hosts the March for Meals 5K at Timmerman Trail in Cayce, SC. (1120 Fort Congaree Trail, Cayce SC 29033). This is a fundraiser to support Senior Resources’ Meals on Wheels and congregate meals programs.
- Thursday, March 16. 11:00 a.m. -12:30 p.m.: Richland County Councilman Calvin Jackson, as well as 10 Food Lion employees, will deliver Meals on Wheels from our Trenholm Road United Methodist Church distribution center (3401 Trenholm Road, Columbia, SC 29205).
- Monday, March 20. Eastover Mayor Geraldene Robinson will spend the morning delivering frozen meals to Meals on Wheels clients in Eastover.
- Tuesday, March 21. Blythewood Mayor Mike Ross will spend the morning delivering frozen meals to Meals on Wheels clients in Blythewood.
- Thursday, March 23. 11:00a.m. -12:30 p.m.: Richland County Councilwoman Yvonne McBride will deliver Meals on Wheels from our Trenholm Road United Methodist Church distribution center (3401 Trenholm Road, Columbia, SC 29205).
*Note: We are working to schedule several additional elected officials, law enforcement professionals and other community leaders who are also interested in delivering Meals on Wheels this month to commemorate March for Meals. We will update this list throughout the month.
About Senior Resources, Inc.
Senior Resources is a non-profit organization that coordinates services, provides resources and encourages the personal choices that allow Columbia’s senior citizens to remain independent. All activities, services and programs of the agency are geared toward promoting independent living, with the goal of helping seniors remain in their homes as long as possible through the support of staff and volunteers, and delaying or preventing institutionalization.
Since 1967, Senior Resources has served Columbia’s frail and elderly residents in three areas:
1) In-home services, including Meals on Wheels, home care, respite care, senior companion services, and case management;
2) Community-based services, including congregate meals, wellness centers, transportation, and physical fitness;
3) Volunteer services, including the Senior Companion program, Foster Grandparent program, and the Retired and Senior Volunteer Program.
With local, state and federal government funding, as well as contributions from United Way, personal donations and fundraising activities, Senior Resources offers a variety of programs so that our clients can select the assistance they need to maintain a healthy and independent lifestyle.