Published on October 9th, 2018 | by Millennium Magazine Staff0
S.C. Governor’s School for the Arts and Humanities now accepting applications for 2019-2020
GREENVILLE, S.C.— The South Carolina Governor’s School for the Arts and Humanities, a public, residential high school for artistically-talented students, is now accepting applications for the 2019-2020 school year and summer programs. All South Carolina residents in grades 6-11 are eligible to apply online at www.SCGSAH.org.
Located in downtown Greenville, the Governor’s School offers pre-professional training in creative writing, dance, drama, music, and visual arts. Students attend from all over the state to learn from established, practicing artists in an environment that provides the resources needed to hone their artistic abilities: including specialized arts studios, state-of-the-art performance halls, a world-class library, and dedicated rehearsal spaces.
In the tuition-free Residential High School program, students explore and refine their talents in a one-of-a-kind, master-apprentice community while receiving a high school education that has been nationally recognized by U.S. News and World Report, The Washington Post, and The Daily Beast. Students interested in creative writing, drama, and visual arts apply in the tenth grade and attend during their junior and senior years. The music and dance programs also accept exceptional sophomores, who apply in the ninth grade.
The final application deadline for the Residential High School is January 4, 2019, however all applications received by November 30, 2018 will have the $50 application fee waived.
In addition to the high school, the Governor’s School offers three summer programs that provide younger students the opportunity to immerse themselves in their artistic passion while learning from practicing artists.
- The new Arts Odyssey Program provides a full week of arts exploration in creative writing, drama, music, and visual arts, for rising eighth and ninth-grade students who apply in seventh or eighth-grade. This program will be held June 16-22 and June 23-29. The completed application deadline for Arts Odyssey is November 30.
- The Academy Program, for rising tenth-grade students who apply in the ninth grade, provides two weeks of intensive training in creative writing, drama, music, and visual arts. Student audition to attend this program which runs July 7-20. The application deadline is January 4, 2019, and applications completed and submitted by November 30, 2018 will have the $25 application fee waived.
- The Summer Dance Program, for rising seventh through twelfth-grade students, provides intensive, pre-professional training in classical ballet with a modern/contemporary component. Students must be twelve-years-old by June 1, 2019. Out-of-state students are also welcome to apply. This five-week program runs June 16 – July 20.
Students interested in the Residential High School Dance Program or the Summer Dance Program are strongly encouraged to register online to attend Early Decision Dance auditions, which will be held on October 13 and 14, and November 4. The final application deadline to be considered for Early Decision Dance is November 9. Applications completed after this date will be considered for Regular Decision Dance.
For more information about these programs and application details, visit www.SCGSAH.org.
Interested families are also welcome to attend a Govie Saturday for a group tour on October 6 and 20, or the Governor’s School’s First Look event on November 3 for tours, information sessions, and student demonstrations.
Also, on October 16 at 6 p.m., the S.C. Governor’s School for the Arts and Humanities and the S.C. Governor’s School for Science and Math will be hosting joint information sessions in North Charleston, Columbia, Florence, and Greenville. For locations and details, visit www.SCGSAH.org/two-paths.
About S.C. Governor’s School for the Arts and Humanities
Located in Greenville, the South Carolina Governor’s School for the Arts and Humanities (SCGSAH) cultivates young artists from across the state through pre-professional training in the areas of creative writing, dance, drama, music and visual arts. As a public, residential high school, serving juniors and seniors, students refine their talents in a master-apprentice community while receiving a nationally recognized academic education. Summer programs are available to rising 7th-12th grade students, and SCGSAH serves as a resource to all teachers and students in South Carolina, offering comprehensive outreach programs designed to bring together artists, educators, community organizations and schools. SCGSAH.org
- School Website – www.scgsah.org
- Important Dates – https://www.scgsah.org/admissions/important-dates
- Campus Visits – https://www.scgsah.org/admissions/campus-visits
- Admissions and Application – https://www.scgsah.org/admissions