Published on April 17th, 2017 | by Millennium Magazine Staff0
Pastor Creflo A. Dollar: Check Your Hearing
I’m convinced that the most valuable asset any Christian has is the ability to hear from God. As a child of God, your success in life depends entirely on your ability to hear the Father’s instructions to you and your willingness to obey those instructions. Hearing from God can mean the difference between life and death.
Many born-again Believers come to church every week and pray, but still fail to hear from God clearly. Consequently, they continue to make decisions that lead them away from the will of God, instead of making decisions that propel them down God’s ordained path for their lives. Hearing from God is an art that must be cultivated, and it takes practice and diligence to develop this critical part of your relationship with Him.
One of the primary keys to hearing from God is having a solid relationship with the Holy Spirit. He dwells in your born-again spirit and is the guiding force that leads you through life as a Christian (Proverbs 20:27). Only through consistently studying and meditating on God’s Word and fellowshipping with Him through prayer will you be able to sharpen your ability to hear from Him.
Communication is a vital part of your relationships with others, and it is just as important in your relationship with God. In fact, joint communication is critical. God doesn’t just want you to do all the talking; He wants to tell you some things, and give you specific instructions day by day and moment by moment.
The question you may be asking is, How do I know if I am hearing from God? The following guidelines can help you fine-tune your spiritual hearing:
1. Maintain a spirit of expectancy. You must first expect to hear from God, and then expect Him to answer your prayers (Proverbs 23:18).
2. Pray in the spirit (Romans 8:26; Jude 20), pray without ceasing (1 Thessalonians 5:17) and spend time listening for God’s voice as you pray.
3. Confirm what you hear with the Word of God (2 Timothy 3:16-17). Everything you hear from God should line up with the Scriptures.
4. Wait for the peace of God (Colossians 3:15).
5. If you have doubts about something you hear, don’t move on it.
6. Seek godly counsel (Proverbs 24:6).
7. When you hear something, boldly obey. Every time you obey God, your hearing becomes clearer and more distinct.
In John 10:27, Jesus says, “My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me.” When you make Jesus your Lord and Savior, you gain the ability to hear from God clearly, every day, in specific detail. In fact, the Bible says that not only will you hear His voice, but you will follow Him when He speaks. That is what distinguishes the sheep from the goats; sheep follow their shepherd, while goats do their own thing.
Just like an obedient lamb, you should follow where Jesus leads. It starts by learning to hear from Him and practicing obedience to His written and spoken Word. When you do, you will walk in the perfect will of God for your life.