|1 Million Cups Columbia, the region’s first and only event created for and by the entrepreneurial community, announced a relocation and a new strategic partnership with the Richland Library. The new partnership will kick off April 19th, featuring Richland Library Executive Director Melanie Huggins.
The partnership will result in the 1MC weekly meetup series being relocated to Richland Library’s Main location. Attendees will be able to leverage and connect into the wide range of resources available for entrepreneurs, creators and makers. In addition, joining the 1 Million Cups Co-organizing team will be Kelsey Truluck, a Studio Librarian for Richland Library.
“1MC exists to help support, connect and grow the entrepreneurial community”, said John Wilkinson, co-owner of USA eShop and founding co-organizer of 1 Million Cups Columbia. “We couldn’t think of a better partner to work with as we expand the ecosystem of support than the Library, who has an absolutely amazing array of resources for aspiring entrepreneurs.
On September 12, 2016, Richland Library unveiled the newly redesigned Second Level, featuring their Studio Services Department. Some of the dedicated spaces include:
· Studios: Draw, paint and sculpt in guided studio art instruction and open-lab sessions.
· Meeting Spaces: Learn, create and share in these flexible spaces that support community collaboration, presentations, group discussion, workshop activities and making.
· Maker Space: Tinker, experiment and create with tools in both guided and open-lab sessions.
· Production Stage: Produce, record and film with the assistance of instructors or in unguided sessions.
· Post-Production Lab: Create and edit media projects – including audio, photo, video, mobile applications and video games – using our professional software.
· Theater: Stage or screen performances from small impromptu gatherings to larger planned events.
· Writer’s Rooms: Collaborate with your book club or writing group, or hold a workshop.
“We were simply blown away by the depth of resources available to people that are right under our noses at the library. This new renovation that is taking place is reshaping the library as a real space for innovators. We’re certain this is going to help spark new entrepreneurial energy in our city”, stated Agata Chydzinski, a 1MC co-organizer and COO for Foltex USA.
“Richland Library looks forward to welcoming 1 Million Cups to our Main location each week and continuing to nurture a culture of learning, creating and sharing,” said Executive Director Melanie Huggins. “The enhanced spaces inside our walls are taking on a life of their own to match the needs of our customers and quickly becoming a hub for community dialogue. I am excited to witness the evolution of this program and see what opportunities await local start-ups on the other side.”
The first new 1 Million Cups Columbia event will begin April 19th from 9:00 – 10:00 a.m. at Richland Library Main (1431 Assembly Street).
Connect with Richland Library: Twitter, Facebook, Instagram
Connect with 1MC: Twitter, Facebook